By Ray Potts – A&E/Feature Editor
1. Festival of the Arts 2014
This weekend marks the 45th annualFestival of the Arts, a celebration of art, entertainment and food for all ages. The festival will include art activities, dance, theatre performances, music and more. Some of West Michigan’s finest artists will have their works on display at the Festival Regional Art Competition at the UICA, and people willbe able to purchase artwork at the sales tents set up at Calder Plaza. All performances, activities and exhibits are free and the event will take place Friday June 6 noon-10 p.m. Saturday 10 a.m.-10 p.m. and Sunday 10 a.m.-7 p.m.
2. Movies in the Park (‘Raiders of the Lost Ark’)
Downtown Grand Rapids Inc. will be hosting “Movies in the Park”, an outdoor movie screening at Ah-Nab-Awen Park, located in front of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum. This weekend’s movie will be “Raiders of the Lost Ark” and there will be other “Movies in the Park” throughout the summer. Pre-show activities start Friday, at7 p.m. The show time will begin at dusk and is free.
3. “Adventures” show at The Pyramid Scheme
The Pittsburgh-based indie-punk/emo band Adventures will be performing at The Pyramid Scheme on Saturday, June 7th. Opening acts will include Good Day Good Sir, Somos, Runaway Brother and Odd Dates. The show is7 p.m. to 1 a.m. Tickets are $10 and the show is all-ages.
4. West Michigan Whitecaps vs. Great Lakes Loons
The West Michigan Whitecaps will be playing a home game against the Great Lakes Loons on Friday, June 6 at 7p.m. The game will be held at Fifth Third Ballpark and ticket prices range from $6-$14.
5. Opening of the new movie ‘Edge of Tomorrow’
The sci-fi movie “Edge of Tomorrow”, isopening on Friday, June 6. The movie stars Tom Cruise, Emily Blunt and Bill Paxton. It is being described as “Groundhog Day” meets “Starship Troopers.” Rated PG-13.
Other notable events happening around Grand Rapids this weekend include:
- The opening of Grey Gardens, at Spectrum Theater tonight at 8 p.m. and running through the weekend. All shows begin at 8 p.m. Go to http://actorstheatregrandrapids.org/grey-gardens for more details.
- 9 to 5 the musical now playing at Civic Theater. Go to http://grct9to52014.blogspot.com/ for more details.
- Friday from 6 p.m. to 9 p.m. will be the opening of the Avenue of the Arts’ first First Friday of the summer. Go to http://avenueforthearts.com/first-friday-gallery-hops/ for more details.