Home Featured News Police Reports 3/4

Police Reports 3/4


Trouble with a Person

  • At 2:30 p.m. Feb. 27, a Grand Rapids Community College police officer responded to a trouble with persons complaint at the Ford Fieldhouse. Upon arrival, the supervisor who called in the complaint explained to the officer that one of the volleyball tournament referees had created a scene at the concession stand. She stated the referee had become belligerent towards her student workers when he wasn’t allowed to split his meal ticket. She continued by stating that she has had issues with this referee in the past. She explained to the officer that when he came to the concession stand, he was not allowed to receive a bottle of water without using his entire meal ticket. He then started to argue with the concession stand workers that he was able to do this at other venues. The concession stand workers did not let him split his meal ticket because referees had always used their full meal ticket when they went to the concession stand. She stated that he proceeded to rip his meal ticket in half and threw it down on the counter of the stand. The student workers proceeded to tell him he was not going to be served any longer. He then proceeded to take back his meal ticket, rip it up even further, and threw it on the counter before walking away. When the tournament finished at approximately 9 p.m., the officer addressing the situation proceeded to make contact with the referee. The officer asked him why he had acted in such a way. He responded to the officer by apologizing for his actions and he admitted to ripping his meal ticket and throwing it down on the counter. The officer advised him that the incident wasn’t criminal in nature, but an agent of GRCC might go above his head to make a complaint against him as well. The referee left the facilities without further incident with a GRCC employee.


  • At 10:47 a.m. Feb. 27, a GRCC police officer was dispatched to the Applied Technology Center Emergency Call Tower. Dispatch advised the officer that a male wearing blue jeans, a black leather jacket and a blue University of Michigan hat complained of stomach pain and difficulty breathing. When the officer arrived, the subject was bent over and leaning on the Emergency Tower. The subject identified himself to the officer. The officer proceeded to ask the subject what was happening. He responded to the officer by saying he was having stomach pain and difficulty breathing. The officer noticed no apparent trouble breathing with the subject. The subject then stated he wished to go to the hospital, but not by ambulance. The officer then asked the subject if he had been drinking. He became very hostile and stated that he was not a drinker. He then became upset by the officer’s presence. He then advised the officer that he no longer wanted assistance, did not want further police contact and wished to leave in order so he could walk to the hospital. The officer observed the subject leave campus grounds without issue.
  • At 10:44 a.m. Feb. 26, the GRCC police were informed of a nonemergency medical alert at Art & Bev’s on the first floor of the Applied Technology Center. The officer responding to the alert was informed a GRCC student had cut her hand. When the officer arrived to the scene, he met with the student. She advised the officer that she cut her right hand while tearing off a piece of aluminum foil from the serrated edge of a box. The officer observed a half-inch laceration to her palm under her middle finger and a quarter-inch laceration under her ring finger. The student advised she would seek medical attention at an urgent care facility. The officer provided First Aid to her hand. The work area was cleaned although no blood was spilled on any surface. The officer notified custodial staff to remove the trash bag in compliance with blood borne pathogen protocol.


  • At 2:34 p.m. Feb. 27, GRCC Police responded to a report of a larceny that occurred at the Ford Fieldhouse. Dispatch advised the responding officer that a visiting volleyball player had her cell phone stolen. When the officer made contact with the victim, she stated that she left her backpack containing all of her belongings unattended in the wrestling room of the Ford Fieldhouse at approximately 1 p.m. When she returned at approximately 2 p.m. she discovered her cell phone was missing. She described the phone as a silver iPhone 6S with a clear case. She had no suspects in mind. The officer advised her to contact him when she obtained the serial number for her phone. The officer received the serial number of the stolen phone on Feb. 28. The serial number was given to dispatch and input to Law Enforcement Information Network (LEIN) as a stolen article.
Previous articleEDITORIAL: Donald Trump cannot be the Republican nominee
Next articleThings to Do – Spring Break 2016


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here