By Kristy Medina
Grand Rapids Community College is hosting the 38th GIANT awards and the banquet will celebrate local leaders who have contributed to the community in extraordinary ways.
GRCC has served as host of the annual awards recognizing individuals or organizations for their contributions since 1983. Each award is named after a local person who has demonstrated excellence and serves as a leader to those notable contributions.
The honorees are:
- Floyd Skinner Justice Award: Michelle Smith-Lowe, Kent County assistant prosecutor.
- Walter Coe Public Service Award: Ovell R. Barbee, Jr., Senior Vice President of Human Resources and Diversity Officer at Spectrum Health.
- Eugene Browning Medical Service Award: Clarence Teddy Henderson, emergency room technician at Butterworth Hospital.
- W.W. Plummer Humanitarian Award: Eddie T.L. Tadlock, assistant general manager of DeVos Place Performance Hall and Van Andel Arena.
- Ethel Coe Humanities Award: Eddie L. Stephens, Jr., president, and CEO of Actionable Solutions Consulting.
- Milo Brown Business Award: Crystal T. Hardley, licensed funeral director of Crystal Funeral Services.
- Phyllis Scott Activist Award: Misti L. Stanton, assistant vice president, and diversity and inclusion officer of Mercantile Bank.
- William Glenn Trailblazer Award: Judge Christina Elmore, 61st District Court.
- Raymond Tardy Community Service Award: Angela D. Nelson, vice president of multicultural business development at Experience Grand Rapids.
- H.C. Toliver Religious Life Award: James Lee Abney, Sr., choir director of Madison Christian Reformed Church.
- Hattie Beverly Education Award: Jerry F. McComb, former administrator for Grand Rapids Public Schools.
- Martha Reynolds Labor Award: Larry Donston, retired educator.
“GRCC is proud to host the GIANT Awards and recognize people who are tremendous leaders in our community,” says David Murray, GRCC’s Communication Director. “The awards are an opportunity to show them how much we appreciate and value their service, but it is also a time for us to share their stories so the next generations can be inspired to follow in their footsteps.”
The Feb. 22, 2020 event will take place at JW Marriott Grand Rapids and tickets and sponsorship packages can only be purchased online at Eventbrite. The deadline to purchase a ticket and any sponsorship packages are Feb. 1, 2020.