Home Featured News Raiders fall in double OT thriller in home opener

Raiders fall in double OT thriller in home opener

Andrew Moore goes up for the layup. The Raiders fell just short, 91-89, in a double OT battle (Kaia Zimmerman/The Collegiate)

By Shane Madden                  

The Grand Rapids Community College men’s basketball team went into double overtime in their home opener and first game of the 2021-22 season, falling to the Schoolcraft College Ocelots in the final seconds by a score of 91-89 in the absence of head coach Joe Fox due to illness.  

The GRCC starting backcourt showed out for the home crowd last night. Redshirt-sophomore Andrew Moore exploded in his Raider debut, putting up 32 points to carry the offensive load and adding 12 rebounds to go along with it.  

“This is Drew’s first game with us,” said assistant coach Matt McCorkle. “He’s a great scorer, so athletic, and provides energy for us. He hit some timely shots and I think going forward he’s going to be a big piece of what we do.”  

Redshirt-freshman Justus Clark came on strong in his debut as starting point guard, initiating the team’s offensive sets and attacking the rim aggressively. He added 14 pts, 10 assists and nine boards, falling just a rebound shy of a triple-double. 

“I thought he was great,” McCorkle said. “This is his first time getting meaningful minutes with us and he did well attacking and distributing the ball when he needed to. I think for him it’s just going to be getting more game repetitions and he will be better and better.”  

After starting the game on a seven point run, the Raider defense gave it right back, setting the tone for the first half. Both teams spent the majority trading buckets until the final minute, when Moore drove hard into the lane for a tough and-one layup to tie the game at 28. The and-one basket was followed shortly by a finesse elbow jumper off a beautiful hop-step from Rico Wade to go up by two at the half.   

The Raiders came out of halftime ready to run, pulling ahead to a 12-point lead during the first part of the second half. They were able to push the ball easily in transition as a shorthanded Schoolcraft team struggled to get back and set up their zone defense.     

“Coach Fox would like us to push the ball this year, get it up early in transition on offense,” McCorkle said. “Obviously, some of those shots weren’t quite going in but we got a lot of great looks.”  

The Raiders made just 23 shots on 73 attempts during the second half, allowing the Ocelots to claw their way back within striking distance with their shifty point guard Keionte Cornelius (32 points) leading the charge.  

Down two in the final seconds, Moore missed a three from the corner. But Wade pulled down the offensive board and put up a contested baseline jumper to tie the game and send it into overtime.  

The first and second overtimes went much like the first half, with both teams trading buckets and neither being able to maintain a lead of anything more than a few points.  

Eight players ended the game having played 45 minutes or more. Being so early in the season, it seemed as though fatigue played a role as overtime ticked away. As the players legs began to fade, more and more shots fell short or hit the front of the rim.  

The Ocelots pulled away during the final minute of double overtime, hitting a big three then drawing a foul on the next play for bonus free throws to seal the deal.

“The boys were great with their energy and fought until the end. Some of the shots just weren’t going in tonight” said McCorkle.   

The Raiders look to regroup and notch their first win of the season when they face off against St. Clair Community College on Saturday, Nov. 6 starting at 3 p.m at the Gordon Hunsberger Arena. 


Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here