Despite unhealthy air quality concerns, Grand Rapids city officials are moving forward with plans to hold the annual Fourth of July Fireworks at Ah-Nab-Awen Park Saturday in front of the Gerald R. Ford Presidential Museum and along the Grand River.
In a comment posted on their Facebook page, city officials stated, “We are planning on moving forward with the celebration on Saturday. We do not operate with a backup date due to staffing limitations around the holiday. The show will be broadcast on WXSP television for those who feel it’s better to remain inside.”
The event, which is sponsored by Soaring Eagle Casino and Resort, will take place from 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. The night will start with DJ Rob Sparks beginning at 6:10 p.m., then at 8 p.m. Soul Stone Rhythm Band will take the stage along with “Pretty Range,” a classic rock band from Holland, MI at 8:10 p.m. At 10:30 p.m., the fireworks will begin.
Besides the Downtown Firework display, other towns around the Grand Rapids area will have fireworks shows and events taking place this weekend and the following week.
- Ada Township will have a 4th of July Celebration on July 4 from 9:45 a.m. to 10 p.m. The Parade at 9:45 a.m. and fireworks at 9:45 p.m.
- Caledonia will have a 4th of July parade on July 1 at 11 a.m. Fireworks begin at dusk.
- Cascade Township will have a July 4th Celebration. On July 4 from 8:30 a.m. to dusk. Parades starting at 10 a.m., and fireworks at dusk.
- East Grand Rapids 4th of July Celebration is July 4 from noon to dusk, the Parade is at noon, and fireworks are at dusk.
- Frederik Meijer Gardens Red, White, Blue & You: A Salute to Independence Day! is on July 1 from 10 a.m. to noon (tickets required).
- Grandville July 4 Celebration is June 30 to July 4. Parade at 11 a.m., on July 4, fireworks at dusk.
- Kentwood has a 4th of July Celebration on July 4 from 7:30 a.m. to 10 p.m. Parade at 9:30 a.m., fireworks at dusk.
- Nelson Township Branch KDL Fourth of July bike decorating is July 1 from 9:30 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Ottawa Hills neighborhood Hollyhock Lane Parade is July 4 at 8:30 a.m.
- Mitten Westside Mobile Blood Drive is July 4 from 10 a.m. to 2:50 p.m.
No matter where you go, it should be a great time with your friends or family.
This story was updated on June 29 at 9:14 p.m. to include the city’s official statement.