This Saturday, Feb. 6, two students will be among those honored at the 34th annual Giants Awards. This event honors members of the Grand Rapids community for their service and contribution to benefiting the surrounding community.
“Giants (awards) has been around for many years,” said Christina Arnold, director of the Diversity Learning Center at Grand Rapids Community College. “It’s a very established and respected program in the community…so we want to maintain the excellence of the program with the award recipients.”
The awards recognize the contributions from all around the community. Each award is named after local individuals as a perpetual memorial to their notable contributions.
A list of this year’s winners include:
- The Floyd Skinner Justice Award – Kimberly A. Coleman
- The Walter Coe Public Award – Senita R. Lenear
- The Eugene Browning Medical Service Award – Herman C. Sullivan, M.D.
- The W.W. Plummer Humanitarian Award – Roy Ford (Posthumously)
- Ethel Coe Humanities Award – Clarice Smith Drew
- The Milo Brown Business Award – Skot Welch
- The Phyllis Scott Activist Award – Alpha Kappa Alpha Sorority, Incorporated Theta Chi Omega Chapter’s Ivylette/Rosette Program
- The William Glenn Trailblazer Award – Francine B. Gaston
- The Raymond Tardy Community Service Award – Wayman Britt
- The H.C. Toliver Religious Life Award – Carolyn Allen
- The Hattie Beverly Education Award – Dr. Nkechy Ekere Ezeh
- Martha Reynolds Labor Award – Richard Jackson
The recipient of the Giant Among Giants award will be announced at the banquet.
The 2016 Milo M. Brown scholarship winners are:
- Shawn Cummings, Business Management – $1,000
- David Msema, Social Work – $1,000
- Micah Rupert, Computer Programming/Web Development – $1,000
The banquet, which costs $75 per plate, will be held at 6 p.m. Saturday in the Steelcase Ballroom at DeVos Place, 303 Monroe Ave NW. Proceeds from the event will go towards the Milo M. Brown scholarship fund.