By Rachael Yadlowsky and Arielle Jackson – Collegiate Staff
Today, the ArtPrize jurors picked the top 25 ArtPrize entries out of a total of the 1,346 entries this year – including one entry on display at Grand Rapids Community College
Each juror is responsible for one of the five categories to judge on. Installation, time-based, 2D, 3D and outstanding venue
The top 25 ArtPrize picks for 2017 are…
- “Canceled Edition” – Pippin Frisbie Calder
- “Enmesh” – Leroi Deruberting
- “Two-way Protocol” – Zane Miller
- “Society of 23’ Locker Dressing Room” – Jeffrey Augustine Songco
- “Bushcraft… Radical Stimulus” – Jessica Wildman
- “GO-Rilla means war” – Crystal Z Campbell
- “Red dirt rug” – Rena Detrixhe
- “The Heartside Community Meal” – Seitu Jones
- “Remission” – Paul Kaiser and John Charter
- “Searching” – Le’ Andre
- Monroe Community Church
- Urban Institute for Contemporary Arts
- Western Michigan University, Grand Rapids
- The Fed Galleries @ KCAD
- Rumsey Street
- “Recovery of Icarus” – Rolf Jacobsen
- “Frontiers” – Benjamin Jones
- “Flint” – Ti-Rock Moore
- “Bloodline” – Holly Wilson
- “Laborer” – Mike Wsol
- “Sofia Draws Every Day: Year 2,3,4” – Sofia Ramierez
- “Hero (Series)” – Michael Hyacinthe
- “820 Ebony / Jet” – Barbara Karant
- “El Sueno Americano (The American Dream)” – Tom Kiefer
- “Virtue Virtu Vertu By Hipkiss” – Alpha and Chris Mason
Meet the ArtPrize nine jurors.
Miranda Lash – 2D
Lash is the curator of Contemporary Art the Speed of
Art Museum. In 2016, Lash curated Home and Away: Highlights from the Speed Art Collection and Beyond, the inaugural installation in the Speed’s new North Building. Lash is also on the Artistic Director’s Council for Prospect.4, the Courtesy Artfourth iteration of the international triennial art exhibition Prospect New Orleans, which will open in November 2017.Courtesy art
Adams is the senior curator of Exhibitions for the University at Buffalo Art Galleries. Adams has an M.A. in Exhibition and Museum Studies from the San Francisco Art Institute and a BA from the School of the Art Institute of Chicago.
Scott Stulen – Time-based
Stulen is the director and president of Philbrook Museum of Art in Tulsa, OK. He was also curator of Audience Experiences and Performances at the Indianapolis Museum of Art. Stulen also created and led the first Audience Experience and Performance Curatorial Department in the country at the IMA, developing the ARTx program, commissioning new performances and site-specific installations, and launching new earned-income initiatives.
Anila Quayyum Agha – InstallationCourtesy Art
Agha has an MFA from the University of North Texas and her work has been exhibited in multiple international art fairs as well as in over twenty solo shows and fifty group shows. At ArtPrize 2014, Agha won the two top prizes with her piece titled “intersections.”
Larry Ossei-Mensah – Outstanding VenueCourtesy Art
Ossei-Mensah is an independent curator and cultural critic who has documented contemporary art happenings for various publications including NeueJournal, Uptown and Whitewall Magazine.Ossei-Mensah is the co-founder of ARTNOIR, a global collective of culturalists who design multimodal experiences aimed to engage the generation’s dynamic and diverse creative class.
For more about the entries follow this link.